It is estimated that some eight million UK adults suffer from chronic back pain.
Back pain can have many causes. It’s not always obvious what causes it, and it often gets better on its own. It usually improves on its own within a few weeks.
There are things you can do to help speed up your recovery:
• Stay active and try to continue with your daily activities
• Take anti-inflammatory medicine like ibuprofen – paracetamol on its own is not recommended for back pain but it may be used with another painkiller
• Use an ice pack (or bag of frozen peas) wrapped in a tea towel to reduce pain and swelling
• Use a heat pack (or hot water bottle) wrapped in a tea towel to relieve joint stiffness or muscle spasms
• Try doing some exercises and stretches for back pain
• Stay in bed for long periods of time
To avoid back pain, exercises that strengthen your core muscle will greatly benefit, additionally, maintaining a good posture and when required, lifting correctly.